MOVING OUT Things to do
We hope you have enjoyed your time with EVMS Campus Housing. Normal wear and tear will be taken into
consideration when inspecting your apartment; however, we expect the apartment to be left in good/clean condition.
Below is a Move-Out Checklist to help you maximize the refund of your security deposit, please make sure these items
are addressed prior to your move-out.
- Please visit the laundry room and retrieve a key envelope. On the outside of your key envelope please write your apartment number and your last name. This key envelope will need to be placed in the rent drop box on your day of move out. An $80.00 charge will be imposed if your apartment key and your mailbox key is not returned on day of move out. I do not need your laundry key or your parking permit. You may discard those items.
- If you have not already, be sure to visit the Move Out Link on our website and complete the Forwarding Address Form so the Housing Manager can forward your security deposit refund. Please allow 45 days from your lease expiration for processing of paperwork and return of deposit. This deposit will be mailed to your forwarding address from EVMS Accounts Payable.
- Beginning May 4th there will be a large container dumpster for bulk items such as couches, mattresses, miscellaneous items you wish to discard. Please use this dumpster to dispose your unwanted items instead of leaving them inside your apartment. You will be charged for any items left inside your apartment.
- Be sure to notify the applicable companies of your move out date. CALL DOMINION ENERGY!!!
- Stove, microwave, refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher, exhaust fan, windows, blinds, air conditioner, light fixtures, doors, radiators, baseboards, and bathrooms must be thoroughly cleaned. DO NOT turn the refrigerator off, simply turn it to the lowest setting after defrosting and cleaning.
- Tile or ceramic floors must be cleaned.
- Please make sure the thermostat is set to Auto and set at 60ºF during the winter and 78ºF during summer. Close all blinds and turn off all of the lights.
- Front door of apartment must be clean and free of debris.
- Additional charges may be incurred due to damage from nicotine or cooking odors. (Ex. Smell, discoloration of blinds, walls, ceilings, or cabinets.)
- Any damage beyond normal wear and tear will be charged according to Management discretion.
- You do not need to be there when the inspection is performed. If you would like to be present, please notify the Housing Manager via email within a reasonable time frame to schedule an appointment.